Sunday, September 12, 2010

New Skills

My family isn't one you could necessarily call 'artistic' Except my mom. I swear the woman can do ANYTHING. She's one of the best bakers I know (maybe I'm a little biased), she can sew (I have multiple pillowcases, and curtains), needlepoint, make jewelry, really she can do anything. I envy her, especially her artistic touch on the little things she does. So in the vein of my mom, I've decided to take up some new things.

-Sewing. Honestly, I was never into sewing. In middle school, I could competently make a duffel bag in Home Ec, which really was enough for me. But recently I went out to the craft store and took a look at the patterns they had. Amazing! They really aren't the old lady type garments I expected. I picked up a dress/skirt pattern from Cynthia Rowley by Simplicity, which looks like something I would wear going out. Plus Little Thingies has a tutorial on making skirts, which I would love to utilize. One of my best friends is also really good at sewing, and she's currently stitching up her homecoming gown in cream satin. Which involves gathering 22 feet of tulle.
-Quilting. Completely inspired by the Tokyo Subway Map quilt on Oh Fransson! I WANT ONE.

So those are the skills I want to learn this year. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment