Saturday, August 7, 2010

5 Keys for Back To School Greatness

I'm extremely pleased to introduce you to a guest blogger- Katie F! Katie is a friend from school, who happens to have a FANTASTIC style, and is quite a lovely girl. She also blogs over at Katie 2. I asked her if she'd like to contribute a fashion post, which she generously did, much to my gratitude. :) So onward to her wisdom!
1. Choose Your Staple.
When you take notice of someone's style, what gives them that extra something? In many cases, it can be a distinct staple that really ties it all together.
A staple can be a unique hairstyle that only you can pull off, a fantastic pair of vintage shoes you will wear until they fall apart, or a scarf your mother once gave you that goes with literally everything you wear.
This year, pick a staple that makes you instantly you.
My personal pick? A shade of red-orange lip-color. It can be worn bright and matte, or softened down as a gloss. It's a definitive shade and can be worn year round.
Try to pick something that meets the above criteria. More importantly, make sure it brightens you and makes you smile!

2. Widen Your Range.
When was the last time you tried a new store? If it was yesterday, good for you, but that's not the point! The point is, we often tie ourselves down to a select range of shopping destinations, hoping they'll have what we want.
Think back to the stores you pass up, though. Why do you pass them? Do they look too "old" for you? Did you have a bad experience with their products five years ago? Do you just flat out assume there won't be anything you like/that fits you/is in your budget? Note: I am not talking about Baby Gap here. What I am talking about is the fact that this is the shopping season to go out and explore! New styles and sales are abundant and this is your prime opportunity to check it out. Set up a challenge for yourself: when you are out shopping, visit three stores to which the following apply:
A.) You have never set foot in
B.) You haven't set foot in in over a year
C.) You can't stand
If you aren't even the slightest bit surprised, I give you full rights to send me a disgruntled E-mail.

3. Try Everything On.
With all of the aforementioned styles and sales, it's easy to get wrapped up in a good day's shopping. This often leads to bags and bags of things that weren't tried on, and in many cases, will never be worn. I don't care how perfectly the silhouette lines up with yours when you hold it on the hanger. The fact is, trying something on is the only way to guarantee that it's the piece for you. I myself, am a convert. I used to hate trying things on and thought it was a waste of time. One too many pairs of ill-fitting pants drove me over the edge, though, and I was reborn!
I can't deny it takes extra time and effort to try on everything you select, but I also cannot deny you will be one hundred times happier with your purchases.

4. Amp Up Your Basics.
Like many people, I rely on the same great jeans, perfect white t-shirt, and comfortable sneakers for eons. Because of this, we often fail to note when the appropriate time comes to replace items like these. This is because we are simply unsure of when the right time is to lay these items to rest. Here are a few signs your basics might need a boost:
Jeans - Excessive holes; very noticeable fraying at the bottom and seams
T-shirts - Holes anywhere; discoloration and staining
Camisoles - Seams at straps breaking; staining, fading, yellowing
Socks/Underclothes - Staining or holes of any kind. Seriously. Don't be afraid to just pitch these
Shoes - A smell that just won't go away; holes in the bottom or sides; looser fit and discomfort.
Jeans and t-shirts can be kept to use for things like smocks or clothes to wear when camping. The others are best to get rid of or donate if still usable. (But trust me, no one wants your old socks.)
With this sorting out of the way, go buy yourself a great new pair of jeans that will last you another five years!

5. Create Yourself a Killer Look-Book---With Room to Build
My rule of thumb for when shopping (you know...after I've tried it on...) is to make sure I have at least two pre-existing options to go with the item I want to buy. It makes getting dressed much simpler! It's the first step to giving yourself a massive look-book that is adaptable for all seasons and occasions!
Let's take a look at some examples...


I hope these five keys help you achieve the fresh, fabulous style of your dreams!
So go forth and rock the year you brainy beauties!
Sincerely,
Katie F.

No comments:

Post a Comment