When I block, I typically use a bucket. Some use sinks, but I like the bucket. Personal preference. More space and easier and faster to fill and refill. Fill the bucket full or halfway with water. Here's where it gets tricky. Water temperature is a HUGE HUGE HUGE factor in blocking. Here's why-


One of my knitting friends made a gorgeous shawl for her daughter. I'm not exactly positive of the fiber content, but I suspect it was a merino and silk worsted weight. The pattern was Damsel Shawl by Lori Law. It was her first shawl *squeal* and she had never blocked before. Naturally, she went to our local yarn store, where the assistant advised her to put the shawl is hot water. First mistake. After removing the shawl from the water and pinning it down, she discovered it had partially felted. You can see the shawl below and how there is absolutely no definition to the lace. It's just a blobby triangle :(
Never ever ever ever put your item in an extreme temperature. My general rule of thumb is if you wouldn't put your baby in it, don't put your knitting in it. I go for a lukewarm temperature, leaning more towards cold. If I can splash it on my wrist without discomfort, it is the temperature for knitting. If your piece is in an extreme temperature, there is a chance it will felt and it is indeed a heartbreaking and tragic event.
After filling the bucket or vessel of preference with your lukewarm water comfortable to the touch and adding soap if you so desire (Quick note, I highly advise against Wool-lite or any commercial detergent. I know of rumors of the detergent taking away the sheen of the yarn and no one wants that. I have heard of baby shampoo being used, but I'd recommend Soak or Eucalan), GENTLY submerse your knitting. Push down the knitting into the bucket with your hands and 'squish' it in the water to allow the garment to become fully soaked. DO NOT agitate your knitting as it will felt. Be gentle, like you are playing with soap bubbles. Gently squish and push the knitting to allow water in and fully soak the piece. After this, leave in the water for about 20 minutes.
If you used soap, rinse and repeat till the water runs clear. As always, be gentle and use lukewarm water. The same rules as the initial soak apply to the rinse.
In conclusion-
- Use lukewarm temperature water that is comfortable if you placed it on your wrist. NO extreme temperatures
- When soaking, be gentle. NO agitation of the pieces. Squish and push. Gentle in the key word here.
- If you used soap, rinse and repeat till water runs clear.
Part 2- Drying and Pinning! Really that's all there is to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment